Friday, November 22, 2013

Damon's Glendale- Time for a Drunkening

Damon's opened in the same year that my dad was born, back when Glendale was the home of the American Nazi Party and when Armenia was a part of the Soviet Union. The interior is decorated with lots of Hawaiian crap and some of the best light fixtures I have ever seen in my life. If I had one of Damon's Tiki light fixtures and a real Tiffany lamp, I would probably hang the Damon's fixture in my living room, and the Tiffany lamp over my toilet. There are quite a few saltwater aquariums here with fish that your kids can pester while they smear their germ and food filled hands on the glass.
The Damon's Mai Tai is the tropical drink by which all other tropical drinks are measured. If you are an alcoholic, you are going to love this place. Even the ice is better here than at any other bar I have been to. It makes the drink taste like an alcoholic tropical snow cone. I have never ordered anything but the Mai Tai here to drink. If you want to get shit in your shoes drunk, have about four of these. I would never order a Chi Chi.
The steaks here are not prime, dry aged, nor particularly of the highest quality, but tasty nonetheless. It is an honest steak, and they will cook it more or less like you asked for it. I like rare filet, the hamburger steak and the gravy which tastes like it was made from a powder in a foil envelope. The salad is cold, crisp, has beets, and is pretty good. Ask them to bring you one with the regular house dressing and another with ranch dressing. They give you a half a baked potato stuffed with mashed potatoes which can be hit or miss. The fried shrimp is crispy, hot, competent and a better choice than the broiled shrimp. You should upgrade to garlic bread.
This place is a throwback to the day when a salad tossed table side did not have a filthy meaning, and a three drink lunch was not "good cause for dismissal" from your job. It is not exactly cheap to eat and drink here, but by no means outrageous. I would much rather come here than most steakhouses and that is for damn sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment