Friday, November 22, 2013

My favorite vegan place in Southern California - Happy Family on Atlantic in Monterey Park

I have to admit that since I have been eating at this place for a long time so me and my family get outstanding service which amounts to special treatment. Well, I have to say that I would rather be a VIP here than at some stupid place like Maestro's Steakhouse where the people are as phony as the meat here. The new digs are pretty nice and the staff here rock. It has been my favorite fake meat place since the Fragrant Vegetable closed several years ago.
The all you can eat cooked to order food can be a bit oily, and has msg, but what great flavor most of the choices have especially with the fresh chili and soy sauce on top. My favorites are the sesame house chicken (a batter fried button mushroom in sticky sauce with sesame), stir fried baby bean leaves, eggplant with basil, Chinese sausage with pickled cabbage, pork with broccoli, and the kung pao squid. They give you squab in lettuce cups and a fried egg roll now on the all you can eat menu. The only thing I don't like is the fish with the sweet reddish sauce. The other 90 choices are worth returning to try. Don't fill up on soup.
I originally came here as the reluctant guest of my vegan brother and was quickly won over by the price (it used to be about 5 bucks now it is13), and the overall quality of this place. The owners are gracious and are a huge asset to the vegetarian community. What a joy to come here with you family. Enjoy happy times with them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment