Monday, July 1, 2013

Roma Italian Deli and Grocery

This place had been on my radar for quite some time but whenever I am in Altadena, the place is either closed or I am with my wife who professes to be a vegan. I walked up to the counter and asked for a sandwich. The kind man slicing the cheese pointed to a pile of freshly made sandwiches in butcher paper and said "these ones here, I make 400 of them a day." When I asked what kind they were, he said they have everything. I was sold from the moment I saw the pink butcher paper dripping with olive oil. I ate both magnificent sandwiches in the car in the parking lot. They were subtly delicious. Not drowned in mayo or some other foul-tasting sauce, not covered with vegetables, no pickles or peppers. Just a wonderful piece of bread, delicious salami, mortadella, and a little sharp provolone. The bread was a perfect showcase for these perfect slices of cured pork. I thought how sad it is that many people actually believe that Subway is what a sandwich is supposed to taste like. Better give them a real sandwich from this place for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment