Saturday, October 26, 2013

My Oldest Bro

I was driving my car Southbound on Alvarado approaching Temple Street at a speed of approximately 25mph when an elderly man suddenly stepped off the curb and in front of my vehicle. Fortunately, when I hit him, I had slowed down considerably, so the impact, while it knocked him to the ground, was minimal. I immediately stopped the car, and came to his assistance. We walked over to the bus bench in front of the McDonald's, and I offered to call him an ambulance and attempted to give the guy my insurance information. He assured me that he was all right and refused my offers of help and told me that he did not wish to see my license and insurance information. I went on my way, and thought the matter was closed until I got a letter in the mail from the LAPD indicating that my vehicle had been involved in a hit and run, and that some detective wanted me to call them up to schedule an interview. I am old enough to know that you never volunteer any information to the police under any circumstances and that in these cases, they are not there to help you or let you explain things, they are attempting to set up a criminal case against you and you should not say anything to them at all except that you want to speak to your attorney. I called Floyd, who incidentally happens to be my oldest brother, and gave him a copy of the letter. He said that they were just on a fishing expedition, because if they had anything at all, I would have already been arrested. He told me not to be worried at all. He immediately called the detective and indicated to him that there was not going to be any interview. A couple of weeks later, the LAPD asked to photograph the vehicle, so Floyd took it over to Rampart Detectives and they took some pictures of my vehicle. The guy that I hit positively identified my car as the vehicle that knocked him on his carless, stupid ass. The next move of the LAPD was to take my DMV picture and place it in a 6 pack photo line up to see if the guy could identify me. Floyd told me that cross cultural identification was pretty tricky. The guy I hit was from a different race, and it was highly unlikely that he could identify me, he said. He looked at the lineup, and lo and behold, he did not know me from Adam. This is where the matter ended. Do you hear that sound of that Klaxon Horn, detectives? In addition to representing me in the hit and run, Floyd has successfully helped me beat two other bullshit felony vandalism cases. I never expected when we were kids that he would grow up to be the brilliant lawyer that he is today. He has an understanding of the criminal justice system in Los Angeles second to none.

No comments:

Post a Comment