Monday, November 18, 2013

Fuck you and your Casita Mexicana. Best Mexican restaurant in town my hairy bean bag.

I came down here the other day and was waiting to get a table. My wife noticed my aunt eating lunch there. She worked for Aeromexico for many years and is from Chiapas, so I took it as a good sign that she was eating here. I exchanged formalities with her, and eagerly awaited the menu. Out of all people, my aunt Dorita would know good Mexican food. In a nutshell, the food was quite disappointing. Don't get me wrong, this place is tasty, but not exactly the holy grail, especially if:
1) You happen to be Mexican and someone in your family is a good cook. 2) You are married to a Mexican whose family cooks well. 3) You know someone who is Mexican and is a good home cook and they had you over 4) You have traveled in Mexico and eaten a lot of good food (both street and restaurant food).
The ingredients and the overall quality of this place are much higher than let's say 90% of Mexican places in the county, but it is by no means the #1 best. I read some article in LA Magazine, I think it was, that rated this place #1 in LA. No way, assholes.
I had the cecina, chorizo, and asada combination plate with beans, rice, and a bit of cactus salad. I enjoyed it, but the meat was a little cold. The melted queso appetizer was good, but consisted of queso de Oaxaca with a bit of chorizo in there. Nice for folding up into a tortilla, but you can put something like this together for a couple of bucks at home. Homemade tortillas here rock but they would rock if you ate them on the moon. The salsa? Competent and hot. The chips with moles served to you at the outset were my favorite part of the entire meal. My wife got the mole combination. Nice depth in all of the moles, but Guelaguetza is a couple of blocks from me and significantly better in the mole department.
I bet that fat ass Rizzo and all of his cronies used to eat here before they were humbled by scandal. I could just imagine him stuffing chips topped with mole in his greedy mouth and paying for it with a city credit card while the owners preen around.
The place serves good but not great homemade Mexican food but there is no way in the Wide World of Sports that I would go out of my way to eat here again.

No comments:

Post a Comment