Thursday, March 27, 2014

Super King


7227 Van Nuys Blvd
Van Nuys, CA 91405
(818) 464-432



Super King Market  
Category: Grocery
Neighborhood: Van Nuys
Maybe you are not one of the anointed ones who can afford to spend $4.00 on a bunch of beets, or are able to pay five or six times for tomatoes than I do.  I avoid the Valley like the ebola, and it was just plain weird that I found myself in that area yesterday on a work assignment.  Although I am a Los Angeles Native Son, I have not spent much time in the Valley at least since the late 1970's and the early 1980's.  I remember going to Phases Nightclub, Gozilla's in Sun Valley, as well as the now defunct Busch Gardens and other landmarks long gone.  I have gone to the Valley maybe three dozen times since 1986, mostly to eat Middle Eastern food.

The Valley of the 1970's is a blurry figment of our lame memories.  It has instead become this giant, decaying shithole with traffic and super global warming.  But there is the occasional gem of a place like Super King.

If you are a vegetarian, you would be surprised at how many meals you can buy at this market for 20 bucks.  I figure about nine (9) meals, and gourmet ones at that.

Asparagus: .99/lb.  green, fresh, and identical to the 2.99 asparagus at Von's
Cluster Tomatoes .59/lb instead of 1.59 at Ralphs
Beets (small red) .79 per bunch
Dill .50
Persian Cucumbers .59/lb
Italian Squash 1.00/4 lbs

You will find all kinds of other great stuff such as dried fruits, nuts and seeds.  I was totally impressed with this market.  It would be worth the drive from K-Town.  High praises!

No comments:

Post a Comment